Wednesday, September 28, 2016

You're Either In It Or You're Not

I’ve personally never heard anyone say this to me, but I have heard others talk about this. What I’m referring to is when people say, “Hey I used to listen to metal” or “I used to listen to that band”. What I’m talking about is the decision to stop listening to heavy metal, or hard rock for that matter, hell any genre of music!

The typical response to that statement is “well why did you stop listening?” and then they retort back “oh I grew up”, “I have kids now” or “I got married”. Well unless your spouse had you in the ultimate pussy whip (or whatever the term is for the opposite genre is) and also happens to be as uptight as the third Reich, there is no reason, I repeat no reason why you should stop listening to the music that you enjoy, no matter your age.

I read this article and the only thing I have to say about it is that the writer was giving his view of generalized older metalheads and what was proper to wear for someone who is older. That article infuriated me because metal is not pretty and if you truly want to express your love for the music, then why should you care about what is proper? It’s ludicrous to think otherwise. Metal is there for you when people aren’t. It can get you through the tough times in life and can help express destructive emotions in a positive manner.

I thoroughly enjoy listening to heavy metal, and there is no reason for me to stop. If there was a clinical trial that predicted that I would die if I listen to another note of heavy metal, then I would get all my affairs in order and die banging my head to the music I love.

My point is that music, especially metal music, is more than some superficial phase in your life. You live it, you breathe it, hell some people shit metal, although, I would contact your doctor if that happens. You don’t just go through your high school and college years and say, “yeah I’m not a fan anymore” because believe you and me, you are either in it or you were never part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment