Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Discovering Metal: Megadeth


Megadeth was my introduction to Thrash Metal in a similar way that Iron Maiden was my introduction to Heavy Metal music.  My experience listening to Megadeth felt like an abrupt transition from the more traditional style of Heavy Metal music performed by Iron Maiden. I believe that Megadeth was an excellent choice for a Thrash Metal band for me to adjust my music listening experience from Heavy Metal into Thrash Metal.  Megadeth served as my gateway band into the world of Thrash Metal and they continue to hold the top spot on my list of favorite Thrash Metal Bands. Due to their quality of songwriting, I consider them my 2nd overall favorite band just behind Iron Maiden.

When I reflect on my introduction to Megadeth, I was listening to a lot, and I mean a lot, of Iron Maiden. I was ripping into albums like “A Matter of Life and Death”, “The Final Frontier”, and “Somewhere in Time”. Then my friend, the same friend who got me into Maiden, asked if I had heard of Megadeth. Of course my response to his question was no. I was binging on Iron Maiden. He recommended them to me, so I decided to do a little research and check them out. The first Megadeth song I listened to was “Holy Wars… the Punishment Due” and man that was an awesome song! Going from Iron Maiden to Megadeth is like going from driving down the highway at top speed and then going into a jet traveling at supersonic speed.


After listening to Holy Wars a few more times, I reconnected with my friend periodically over a course of several months during which he recommended I listen to songs including “Peace Sells”, “My Last Words”,  “Hangar 18”, and “Skin O’ My Teeth”. I enjoyed this band’s music so much that I decided to examine their entire catalogue of albums which included their earlier records like “Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying” to more recent albums like ”United Abominations”. Before I knew it, Megadeth became the second band that I was enthralled by.

I also had the pleasure of seeing them live twice, the first time on their Gigantour in 2013 and in 2014 at a local venue. Both shows were great! I loved their performances and actually one of my friends went up to the front row and got his hand stomped on by someone in the crowd when he reached for one of the guitar picks on the ground that the band threw out into the audience when the show ended. At least my friend managed to get the guitar pick.



I consider Megadeth to be a successful band due to the fact that they have received many accolades throughout their career. The band’s songs have great instrumentals and powerful lyrics. Dave Mustaine, the band leader, principal songwriter, lead vocalist and guitarist has no real range in his voice, but that hasn’t stopped him from writing and singing the messages within Megadeth’s songs.

There are many metal fans who would not give Megadeth a chance. I think what it comes down to is they are opposition to Mustaine’s political views which he expresses in his music. In concert, he discusses his views when he is introducing the next song. I think you can only come to truly appreciate this band by attending a live performance to experience their talent. Some people just don’t like what Mustaine says, and that’s a shame because they are judging the band solely on Mustaine’s opinions.


Megadeth for me was the introduction to faster more aggressive metal. With their blistering solos and intricate riffs, Megadeth’s music blew me away. I’ve listed below my favorite Megadeth albums. Additionally, I’d suggest you check out their live DVDs such as That One Night - Live In Buenos Aires” and Rust in Peace Live”. Also, I recommend you check out my review of their latest album Dystopia here.

Top Favorite Albums:
1) Rust In Peace
2) Countdown To Extinction
3) Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying?
4) Youthansia
5) The System Has Failed

“The military Intelligence two words combined that can't make sense”

No comments:

Post a Comment