Monday, September 12, 2016

My Intro to Metal - Jacob D. Strozyk


Hi there everyone! My name is Jacob D. Strozyk and I thought I would take a brief moment to share with all of you how I got into metal music, and the bands that I listen to on a daily basis. Since I will be a part of this metal site, I figured that I would enlighten you all to my tastes!

Since I was a boy, my parents always had me listening to classic rock and metal, alongside a lot of '90s grunge music. My parents cars were filled with the sounds of AC/DC, Creed, Hootie and the Blowfish, Motley Crue, and Def Leppard. I was influenced to love the sound of guitar solos and distortion from a young age, so eventually I found my way to the metal scene. It was in high school that I really took to the genre and fully embraced it as my choice of music. It was also at this time that I discovered my favorite bands in the entire world.

While many hate them for reasons I will never understand, Avenged Sevenfold has been my favorite band for a long time now. Their catchy classic guitar riffs and meaningful lyrics all come together for a masterpiece of music every time. It's through A7X that I really found my love for metal and I am forever grateful. Its within this style of metal that I typically find myself enjoying the most (bands like Disturbed, Three Days Grace, and Breaking Benjamin).

While in high school, and still discovering more about the metal genre, I found a subgenera known as metalcore. Strangely enough, I did not discover this via a popular metalcore act, but through a local Buffalo act (now no longer in existence) Don't Be a Hero. Their five track EP handed to me by the screamer's mother was something badass and heavy that I really took to well. It was through this that I searched and eventually found some of my favorite metalcore acts in Of Mice and Men, A Day To Remember, and Blessthefall.

I am a modern metal fan with a deep appreciation for classic metal and all that is and was to the community. I hope everyone who reads this will enjoy all that I have to contribute to this site.

Rock on Metal Heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment