Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Discovering Metal: Anthrax


From left to right: Charlie Benante, Frank Bello, Scott Ian, Joey Belladonna and Jonathan Donais

The big four of Thrash Metal are Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax. Out of those four, Anthrax is the least successful in album sales with about 10 million albums sold worldwide. This has not stopped them from continuously touring and making great albums. Anthrax is viewed as being silliest of the big four with their mascot the “Not Man” which was spawned from a rap metal song that they made called “I’m the Man”.


Anthrax is known for their thrash hits like “Indians” and “Caught in a Mosh”, and rightly so, but they have explored depths which at the time where ground breaking like the song “I’m the Man” and their cross over with their rendition of Public Enemy’s song “Bring the Noise”. Throughout their career, they have produce a diverse array of songs that have the influences of thrash metal, heavy metal, rap, and punk.

For myself and other metalheads, what really made Anthrax stand out is that they have a lead singer with a broad vocal range and versatility. I’m talking about vocalist Joey Belladonna. While listening to Megadeth and Metallica is great and they each come with their own styles, Anthrax offers a different flavor that really appeals to me. I was used to the singing in Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, so Anthrax was a natural progression for me as I got into heavier music.




I first discovered Anthrax, after I saw my first Megadeth show, in the summer of 2013. The first album I listened to was their third album Among the Living. At that point in time, I had been listening to more of Megadeth’s deeper catalogue like Cryptic Writings. Anthrax had a different dimension in their music, a touch more punk than other thrash metal bands. I really enjoyed Among the Living so I decided to listen to their prior albums like Spreading the Disease and Persistence of Time.

I’ve listened to the music from Anthrax’s inception to the album Sound of White Noise and then from the album Worship Music to their current music. Based on my listening experience, I would definitely recommend to any heavy metal fan that they check out Anthrax, especially fans of thrash metal. Anthrax has continually impressed me with their creativity in the songs produced throughout their career. They’re a great band and I look forward to what songs they’ll release in the future.

Top Favorite Albums:
1) Among The Living
2) Worship Music
3) Spreading the Disease
4) For All Kings
5) Sound of White Noise

No comments:

Post a Comment